Tooth wear can cause tooth sensitivity and lead to changes in your bite, which can in turn cause headaches and neck and back pain. It is an increasingly common problem today that should not be ignored.
Our modern diet is often much more acidic and this can soften the enamel and make it more prone to being worn away by the action of chewing and grinding the teeth. When the enamel is worn away, the dentine underneath is exposed and this can cause pain and sensitivity.
We are bombarded with health messages and it is difficult to know what to do for the best but when it comes to protecting our teeth from acid erosion, we should be mindful of acidic foods, such as fruit juices, fizzy drinks (including low calorie and sports drinks), citrus fruits and many alcoholic drinks.
Please follow our top tips for keeping acid at bay:
- Consume acidic foods and drinks ideally at meal times and no more than four times a day
- Drink still water between meals - or milk as it helps neutralise the acids in your mouth
- Limit fruit juice to once per day and avoid fizzy, sparkling and alcoholic drinks
- Rinse your mouth with water for 30 seconds after consuming acidic food or drink
- Chew sugar free xylitol gum after consuming acidic foods or drink
- Wait at least an hour before brushing your teeth after consuming acidic food or drink.
Solutions for worn teeth
The talented dentists and hygienists at Crescent Lodge Dental Practice in South Side provide many solutions to the issues stemming from acid erosion, including sensitivity, sharp and chipped teeth, tooth discolouration and loss of shine.
Tooth coloured fillings, made of a material called composite resin, can provide a cosmetic, minimally invasive and cost effective solution. For more severely worn teeth it may be better to consider using ceramic restorations. These provide an extremely beautiful and durable answer to the problems that wear can cause.
Are you suffering from tooth wear? Call us today to find out how we can help.