14th December 2016
Crescent Lodge Dental – How to stop receding gums
Receding gums happen for a number of reasons and if this recession is stopped early enough you won’t have more serious dental concerns in the future as a result. You might have noticed that your gums have shifted position on your teeth and that more of your teeth can be seen, without even experiencing any of the problems usually caused by gum recession. If that’s the case then it’s still worth booking a check up with our dentist here in Clapham.
Perhaps you’ve noticed some tooth pain, or that your gums are swollen, or bleed when you brush them. If you don’t seek treatment, you could find that your gums receding will have a negative effect on your appearance, cause your teeth to be more sensitive due to the roots being exposed and in the long term you may even lose teeth, which will only lead to new dental concerns.
Common causes of gum recession
We’ve put together this list of common causes of gum recession to help you identify bad habits that may be inadvertently causing the problem.
- Brushing and flossing your teeth too vigorously: Whether you’re attacking your teeth in a bid to get them really clean, or your toothbrush is too hard, a softer approach will help.
- Injury to gum tissue can cause recession: Have you suffered an injury to your mouth that you’ve not had treated by a dentist. Better to book a check up that risk your injury causing you more damage.
- Are you suffering from gum disease? Food deposits that are left on your teeth and not brushed away turn into plaque. When that plaque builds up, particularly around the gum line, you stand more chance of suffering from gum disease. If your gums are red, swollen and bleed when you brush your teeth, you may need gum therapy from your hygienist to make your gums healthy again. Untreated gum disease is not only associated with receding gums, but also heart disease, diabetes and low birth weight babies.
- Grinding your teeth is a common symptom of stress, which can have grave consequences for your teeth: If you’re aware that you grind your teeth, either when you’re driving, or at night, both of which are very common, it’s a good idea to take positive action. If you can identify what is causing you stress you can reduce its impact on your life, or you can wear a mouth guard at night to prevent your teeth from being damaged.
- Misaligned teeth can also cause recession of the gums. They are easily brought into alignment with braces. Here at the Crescent Lodge Dental practice, we offer Damon clear braces, metal braces, lingual braces and pioneering removable brand Invisalign. Straightening your teeth with our big name brand orthodontic devices has never been so fast or so discreet.
Treatment for receding gums at Crescent Lodge
If your gums are receding, we can help. Come and meet our Clapham gum expert. If you have an unexplained tooth or jaw ache, we can also help. As we treat each case individually, we invite you to have a consultation with one of our highly skilled and experienced dental surgeons to discuss any dental concerns you may have.