Many people feel nervous about going to the dentist and negative portrayals of dentists in films hasn’t helped alleviate peoples’ fears about getting dental treatment. The reality of regular dental checks is that if you have them, then you’re simply preventing future tooth problems and visiting the dentist won’t be a painful experience at all. As good dental hygiene is key in avoiding toothache, we’ve put together some tips to help ensure you keep your teeth and mouth healthy.
- Brush your teeth at least twice daily, with one of those sessions taking place before bedtime. Employ a good technique to make sure you get rid of all food deposits and lessen the chances of developing tooth decay. Make sure you brush both your teeth and the gumline back and forth, and up and down.
- Flossing once a day will remove food from between the teeth, that a toothbrush simply cannot reach.
- Have regular hygienist appointments. Getting your teeth professionally cleaned regularly will make sure that there are no food deposits of which you are unaware, to cause you problems in the future.
- Be able to recognise early warning signs of dental problems and then, if you identify them in your own mouth, make an appointment with your dentist straight away. If your gums are red, swollen, or even bleeding, there is a chance you could have gum disease. Gum therapy will relieve the symptoms and consists of a stringent cleaning program which will take place over a number of weeks. Ignoring this problem could be more detrimental to your health than you might imagine, given the fact that studies have found a link between gum disease and heart disease. If you are experiencing loose teeth or teeth pain, you should also report to the dentist immediately.
- If your teeth are not straight or you’ve lost a tooth and not seen your dentist in a while, you might want to consider some cosmetic treatment. Getting your teeth straightened will get rid of hard-to-reach, overlapped surfaces, where food deposits can gather. Getting an implant; which is an artificial tooth fittedinto your jawbone, will prevent your remaining teeth from shifting and creating more overlapped, hard-to-reach surfaces.
If you can spend just an hour of your year having your teeth checked by your dentist, you’re far more likely to never experience a painful or a prolonged dental treatment. You can find out more about how to become a patient at the Crescent Lodge Southwest London clinic by giving our professional and friendly team a call.