19th May 2016
10 Facts you should know about dental implants in London
If you live in London and you’ve lost a tooth through being in an accident, experiencing an injury or you have had it professionally taken out by your dentist in Clapham Common, our dental implant treatment might just be up your street. With a dental implant, you’ll be able to prevent concerns such as bite and tooth movement problems.
Having a dental implant fitted can reduce the speed of shrinkage of the jawbone, caused by tooth loss. Dental implants can also help you avoid more immediate problems such as speech difficulties and chewing effectively. To help you make a decision and to see if dental implants in Clapham Common are what you need, here are the top 10 things you should know about dental implants:
1. A dental implant in London is an immediate solution to tooth loss. It’s effectively a false tooth, designed to fit in with your existing teeth. The implant will be colour matched to blend evenly with your surrounding teeth and it’ll be hard for anyone else to tell that the tooth is not naturally yours.
2. When you have a dental implant fitted, it will be buried into your jawbone. Following this procedure, your mouth will heal naturally and the implant, or root will be able to support a crown within 3-6 months.
3. The advantages of implants over dentures is that they are more stable, more comfortable and offer better support. They are also permanent and you won’t have to take them in and out for cleaning.
4. It varies from person to person however the dental implant fitting procedure takes around 1-2 hours and usually takes around 3 to 6 months to fully heal. This time window is to allow the titanium root of your Implant to properly fuse with your jawbone.
5. A temporary crown will be fitted onto the root or implant in the first instance. A permanent crown will be fitted several months later.
Accessible to anyone
6. In theory, anybody can have an implant fitted regardless of age. However, a dental implant in Clapham, London is likely to be more successful in a healthy mouth. Your dentist will be able to advise you as to whether you are a suitable candidate for dental implants. A lot of the dentist’s decisions will be based on the size and quality of your jawbone.
7. Diabetes is a condition that may prevent you from having an implant fitted and if you smoke, you might be refused treatment as well. This is because the success rate of dental implants is much lower for diabetics and smokers.
8. In general the success rate of dental implants is 90-95%. These statistics were taken over 30 years.
9. On rare occasions complications with implants can arise however there is a very low risk of damage to parts of the mouth. Your dentist will be able to advise you of the exact details of this as well as explain which measures are taken to ensure complications do not occur.
Care for your oral health after treatment
10. It’s important to keep your teeth and gums as clean and healthy as possible following the fitting of your dental implant. Your dentist will be able to give you more information about how to do this. Do not be fooled by the word ‘false tooth’, it still works and acts like a natural tooth, collecting bits of food and bacteria. This is why the same amount of care that you give to your natural teeth should be given to your new tooth.
To find out more about having dental implants in London, please get in touch with our expert team. They’ll be able to provide you with as much information as you need, as well as arrange a time for you to come in for a consultation.
More Dental Implant posts here